Thursday, April 29, 2004

Hey, kids! Do you like the rock'n roll?*

I'm having a good day. This afternoon I dyed one of my favorite little strappy t-shirts, and my knitted flapper hat, and about 120 feet of plain cotton yarn bright red, except I made the yarn be a little variegated by skeining it and tying it off every few inches. And while it was soaking, I sat on the porch and played with the sweet boy kitty. And this morning I laid around in bed and played with my sweet girl kitty. And I'm just having a good day. Mmmmmmm. Except the "bright red" turned out to be more of a hot, hot, hot reddy pinky orange. I guess the packet said "poppy" on it, so I think I got the color they meant. I followed the instructions as exactly as I ever do. I still like the color, so that's good. I'm blocking the hat on my head right now! Whoopee. The only kinda bad thing is mom's friend Rosemary found out this weekend that her dad, a really great guy who survived prostate cancer and is her touchstone and has been diagnosed with a brain tumor and was given six months to live about two weeks ago, is probably going to die within the next week or so. She's understandably bummed. He and her mom have come to live with her until the end, and hospice has been visiting. It's pretty sucky. We're going out to take them breakfast tomorrow morning, so I'm hitting the sack early tonite so I can act human. That poor gal. I'm sure hoping she'll be strong enough to take this. He is such a good person, and I know he's ready to go, but she's nowaynohow ready to let him go. And her and her mom get along not at all, so he's worried about who's going to take care of his wife when he goes. I feel so for them and have no idea what to do or how to help or anything.
Anyway, I'm not exactly looking forward to tomorrow, but I feel like it's a good thing to do.
*where the hell does this phrase come from? I've been saying it for years, and I get a strong sense of David Letterman being the source, but I really have no idea. Please, if I have any readers at all, someone know where those words come from, and if you know, e-mail me and let me know, lest I die!

No comments: